Arriving In Italy

What will happen when I first arrive?

When you first arrive in Italy with an entry visa for humanitarian reasons, you will go through the application procedure for international protection. As such, you will go to the Police Immigration Office (Questura) where your personal data (name and surname, place and date of birth) will be recorded, a photo of you and your family will be taken together with your fingerprints. Within a minimum period of 30 days from the submission of the application, you will be interviewed by the competent Territorial commission, which will assess your personal situation through questions. The Commission should decide within 3 days, although this procedure usually takes longer. If you are granted refugee status, you will receive a 5-year residence permit, and will also be able to renew it.

What social welfare services are available to me?

Social services help you improve your living conditions if you live in Italy and find yourself in difficulty. They are normally provided by the National Institute of Social Security (INPS) and you can request them by going directly to the local office of municipal social services or to the ASL of the territory where you live. The different types of social services seek to address the needs of: (i) people with physical or mental problems (or suffering from HIV and tuberculosis); (ii) elderly people; (iii) pregnant women or women who have suffered violence in Italy or in another country; (iv) unaccompanied minors; and (v) people who have suffered trauma or shock. The social services you can request in these cases normally include assistance provided by someone who comes to your home and help you manage your problem, food or meal vouchers, transport to places where you need to go (e.g. a hospital), and assistance with finding a job. 

Can I bring my family to Italy?

Yes, you can bring your spouse with you, if he/she is of age and not legally separated, your minor children with the consent of the other parent provided they are not married, and your sons of legal age if they are totally disabled due to serious health reasons.

Accommodation (On arrival and in the future e.g. renting, social housing etc.)

Upon arrival in Italy, you will be allowed to temporarily live in accommodation provided by the Federation of Evangelical Churches (Fcei) and the Community of Sant’Egidio. In these communities you can live for free, alone or with your family, for a year or until you find another accommodation. At the end of the first year, you should find accommodation in order to regularly live in Italy, which you can also obtain a place to stay thanks to the hospitality of a friend / family member or by renting or buying a house. The family/friend who offers you hospitality has the obligation to communicate it within 48 hours to the Police Headquarters, the Commissariat, the Municipality or the competent Employment Centre. To rent a house, you have to sign a rental contract that establishes the monthly rent costs and the duration, among other things. The contract must be registered with the Agenzia delle Entrate within 30 days of the signing of the contact. On the other hand, you have the right to purchase a house under the same conditions as Italian citizens. Finally, you also have the right to live in public houses made available by the regions or other local authorities by applying to the municipality in which you reside.